Sunday, November 18, 2007

Recipe: Clams with Onions and Dill (Όστρακα “της Πλώρης”)


Clams with Onion and DillOne of the dishes we enjoyed
during our recent visit to restaurant Logia tis Ploris in Athens was Clams with Onions and Dill (Όστρακα “της Πλώρης”). The mixed clams were steamed in wine, and seasoned with green onions and dill, wonderful flavors to enjoy outside on a balmy evening. Although the flavors seem summery, when we had this dish last Friday in snowy Alaska, it was hearty, warming, and satisfying.


Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska has moved as of March 2011. To read this post please go to


http://www.laurieconstantino.com/recipe-from-athens-seafood-restaurant-logia-tis-ploris/



Please click on over and visit my new site. Thank you!

6 comments:

Peter M said...

Another great seafood dish...I never thought to try dill with cockles. Gialisteres are found at the beach I swim at, along with kidonia but I've yet to try razor clams...they are on my list.

Keep on highlighting "Ploris" dishes!

Anonymous said...

This looks terrific! I try to serve mussels or clams once a week and I'm always looking for variations on the theme. Will definitely try this!

Anonymous said...

I love clams and the dish looks lovely. I remember that when I was young, I tried a stir-fry one with ginger, garlic and chilly... Mmm...

Laurie Constantino said...

Peter, nor did I ever use dill with clams/cockles, and we eat them all the time, usually with thyme or basil. But the dill/onion combination was a winner. You definitely should try Greek razor clams. I was surprised when I saw them the first time because on the US west coast, including Alaska, razor clams are huge, some longer and almost as wide as my hand. The ones we dug in Greece (and had at Logia tis Ploris) are about the size of a man's index finger. Small but delicious.

Ann, you won't be sorry if you do! Let me know how they come out!

Windy, mmmm-mmmm, it's hard to think of anything that doesn't taste good stir-fried with ginger, garlic, and chili.

Susan said...

That is some handsome pile of clams. The Greeks really do have a way with seafood. When my husband and I visited his mother in Tarpon Springs, FL, we had one great Greek fish dish after the next each night.

Laurie Constantino said...

You are so right about the Greeks and seafood, they always do an excellent job. It has everything to do with the freshness of the ingredients. Glad you liked the clams!