Thursday, November 8, 2007

Ingredients: Full Circle Farm

Produce from Full Circle FarmA reader asked about Full Circle Farm (FCF), one of my sources for vegetables. The reader wondered why I buy produce from FCF since I am in Alaska and FCF is in Washington. This picture of produce from a FCF delivery may help explain, but doesn't directly answer my reader's question, so here goes:

FCF is an organic farm in Carnation, Washington that provides weekly boxes of organic fruit and vegetables to subscribers of its Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program.

While I'd prefer to eat locally and seasonally, this is an impossibility in Alaska if I want to include a full range of fruits and vegetables in my diet. By October, everything in our garden has been harvested. Shortly after harvest, the snow falls and covers the garden at least until April. The farmers' markets end for the year in October.



Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska has moved as of March 2011. To read this post please go to


http://www.laurieconstantino.com/full-circle-farm/


Please click on over and visit my new site. Thank you!


**This week's FCF box, photographed above, contained: Delicata squash, russet potatoes, cucumber, celery root, carrots, beets, spinach, escarole, 3 kinds of lettuce, Braeburn apples, Bartlett pears, and crimson grapes.

2 comments:

ThreeTastes said...

That was a great and informative post. I can't wait until we live in a place where we can participate in a CSA program.

Riana Lagarde said...

that is so wonderful that you take the time and effort to order from them. your health will thank you for and i bet they taste a lot better than any store bought. great information as always!