Thursday, March 13, 2008

Recipe: Moroccan Chermoula and Carrot Soup (Μαροκινή Σούπα με Καρότα)

Something is happening in my vegetable drawer. I swear the carrots have been multiplying during the night. I can’t use them fast enough.

The real cause of the carrot explosion is their arrival in every CSA box we’ve received over the past few months. I love carrots, I’m glad they’re in the boxes, but I need to do better at keeping up with the inflow.

A new CSA box is arriving today, and yes, it will include another bunch of carrots. Last night, I took the carrot overflow problem in hand and made a wonderfully flavorful Moroccan Chermoula and Carrot Soup.

Although Carrot Soup is delicious on its own, the addition of Chermoula turns it into something special. I make the Chermoula while the soup is simmering, which means the entire recipe takes less than an hour from start to serving.

It’s hard for me to get enough Chermoula – I usually double or triple the recipe whenever I make it. I use the extra Chermoula to top grilled salmon, halibut, or chicken, or to add flavor to salads.

Moroccan Chermoula and Carrot SoupMoroccan Chermoula and Carrot Soup (Μαροκινή Σούπα με Καρότα)


Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska has moved as of March 2011. To read this post please go to


http://www.laurieconstantino.com/moroccan-chermoula-and-carrot-soup/


Please click on over and visit my new site. Thank you!


14 comments:

Lisa Turner said...

Thank you for this amazing sounding (and looking) entry Laurie. I have some large carrots in my fridge and will have to give this a try at some point.

Sam Sotiropoulos said...

Excellent! I have a few extra carrots lying about in the vegetable drawer as well and this looks like a great way to make use of them. Thank you Laurie!

Suganya said...

I make a quick carrot salad that goes well with almost all carbs. Shred carrots and dress with lemon juice and salt. Its fresh and tasty. That should take care of the carrot overload :)

Maria Verivaki said...

Carrots are one of the most versatile vegetables I can think of: stews, soups, salads, cakes. We love them as a snack, too!

Anonymous said...

I love the colours in the soup Laurie. Chermoula is so versatile and delicious. A great combination with the carrots.

Laurie Constantino said...

Lisa and Sam, you are both so welcome! If either of you make it, I'd love to hear how it turns out for you.

Suganya, mmm, I love carrot salad; the simpler the better. Thanks for reminding me.

Maria, I agree, carrots are a kitchen essential, for all the reasons you say.

Peter G., now if I only had your photographic skills...sigh. But I do love my colorful food.

Núria said...

Wow Laurie, now that you are back you are fast as a rocket!!!! :D Had to stop by and say that never heard of this soup but only because I love the colours and the ingredients, it's now bookmarked! I might do it one day, now that I want to get suntanned and the carrots will help me ;-)

Lucy said...

Laurie, it's lovely to see you back, and with so many beautiful, delectable things.

Carrots do seem to multiply in CSA-style boxes - I did laugh!

Chermoula must be the most incredible flavour addition to the sweetness of the carrots. Great stuff.

Riana Lagarde said...

This is so great, because we are always on the same wavelength now with our CSA baskets. Carrots, squash and oranges and artichokes. This sounds fabulous, I'll have to try it tonight.

Laurie Constantino said...

Nuria, this soup is beautiful and healthy, what more could you want?

Lucy, chermoula goes so well in just about everything. And in the CSA box I picked up the day I wrote this, there were TWO bunches of carrots - now that really made me laugh!

Riana, CSA coordination - how perfect! I hope you like it.

Anonymous said...

That's a great recipe -- I never think of carrots as a soup base. My favorite part of your post, though, is the instruction to whack the ginger with a meat pounder -- I love discovering new uses for rarely used tools as much as learning about new ingredients!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if either of these soup recipes would work for butternut squash. My CSA has us drowning in squash. The other veggies we get to mix and match but cabbage and squash are a part of the haul.

-Robin

Laurie Constantino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laurie Constantino said...

Manju, I love my meat pounder and use it often!

Hippo, I'd say yes definitely, either this one or the Carrot Ginger could both be made with Squash. There's also a really good squash soup recipe on the blog (and a couple other squash recipes). I have exactly the same problem you do with accumulating squash from my CSA box.