Saturday, December 8, 2007

Gold Out of Straw: Recipe for Lemon Yogurt-Raisin Cake with Crunchy Almond Topping (Γιαουρτόπιτα με Σταφίδα Γλυκό του Κουταλιού)

I made the cake for my friend Teeny’s birthday. It was astonishingly good. The cake was dotted with tender raisins, and was lemony, not too sweet, and very flavorful. The crunchy, lemon-glazed, roasted almonds on top contrasted nicely with the moist cake. My kitchen disaster became one of the best cakes I’ve ever made.

For Christmas presents, I’m making raisins in syrup accompanied by copies of the Lemon Yogurt-Raisin Cake recipe. And this time, I’m cooking the raisins too long on purpose.

Lemon Yogurt-Raisin Cake with Crunchy Almond Topping (Γιαουρτόπιτα με Σταφίδα Γλυκό του Κουταλιού)
Serves 10
The cake must be glazed while it is still hot, so make the glaze while the cake is baking.


Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska has moved as of March 2011. To read this post please go to


http://www.laurieconstantino.com/gold-out-of-straw-a-kitchen-disaster-that-wasnt/



Please click on over and visit my new site. Thank you!




Raisin Spoon Sweets
Makes 3 1/2 cups


Mediterranean Cooking in Alaska has moved as of March 2011. To read this post please go to



http://www.laurieconstantino.com/gold-out-of-straw-a-kitchen-disaster-that-wasnt/


Please click on over and visit my new site. Thank you!

13 comments:

Ivy said...

Your cake looks fantastic and don't forget that many well known recipes have come to existence after some mistakes. One is the French cheese Roquefort and the other is the Crepe Suzette. I am sure there are many others.

Peter M said...

Goos save Laurie and although I'm not a big fan of Glyko koutaliou, this dessert would be balanced with the cake.

Katie Zeller said...

I love it...the old 'If life hands you lemons make lemonade'
Great result for your almost disaster; almost abandoned raisins!

Laurie Constantino said...

Ivy, I didn't know that about Roquefort and Crepes Suzette -- very interesting!

Peter, spoon sweets have never been one of my favorites, but they really made this cake.

Katie, that's a great saying, and very appropriate. Love your event!

Anonymous said...

Rumpelstiltskin

test it comm said...

Lemons, raisins, almonds and yogurt all rolled up into a cake. Sounds good!

Patricia Scarpin said...

We have similar sweets here in Brazil, Laurie - we don't serve them in spoons but they sure are delicious!
This cake is a proof of how success comes from where we least expect sometimes!

Laurie Constantino said...

Kevin, it really is!

Patricia, that's very interesting. How do you serve the sweets in Brazil, and when are they served? In Greece, this is not a post-meal dessert, but served with coffee and water when guests come calling.

Miri said...

What a delicious cake! great salvage of the lovely raisins....I can only imagine how great this must taste.

Laurie Constantino said...

Miri, it so good -- wish I had some now. Thanks for stopping by!

Deeba PAB said...

Great looking cake,with a recipe that seems just right! These are my fave ingred. Had a disaster while baking yesterday when elec did the dissapearing act the minute I popped an 'experiment' into the oven! Grin & bear it...life's like that!!

Laurie Constantino said...

Passionate Baker, losing power in the middle of a bake is no fun. Glad you could grin and beat it!

Nora B. said...

Terrific use of the syrupy raisins. When a kitchen disaster happens, that's when I get creative! :-)

Happy New Year!